Combining Chiropractic Care & Massage Therapy for Better Results
Chiropractic and massage therapy are not contrasting practices; they are complementary in helping patients along the road to wellness. Chiropractors and massage therapists in Cuyahoga Falls often work together to increase the effectiveness of treatment. Many of our patients say that the results are much better with chiropractic and massage therapy together, than with either one alone.
Find out how these two complementary and alternative medicine therapies work together to enhance results for a number of conditions and the advantages of combining these therapies.
What Does Chiropractic Care in Cuyahoga Falls Do?
Chiropractic adjustments at Cuyahoga Falls Chiropractic Clinic use moderate pressure to correct restrictions and misalignments along the spine and in other joints in the body. Treatment involves highly controlled procedures with the gentle application of force. The goals are to reduce inflammation and pain, while increasing mobility, range of motion, and function of the joint and the nervous system. It’s used to treat conditions including sciatica, scoliosis, pain in the back, shoulders and neck, migraines, carpal tunnel, and to recover from injuries.
WHAT DOES MASSAGE THERAPY DO?
More than just a relaxing back rub, professional massage therapy applies moderate pressure to manipulate the soft tissues, ligaments, muscles, and tendons. The goals are to increase blood flow to that part of the body, helping to restore flexibility and promote healing in the related fibers and joints. A qualified massage therapist also helps decrease inflammation and pain, while simultaneously reducing stress.
There are different types of massage techniques which can be combined seamlessly with chiropractic care. The two most common are:
- Swedish massage – Utilizes a mixture of different types of kneading and choppy strokes to decrease muscle tension. It can be particularly helpful for pain relief and recovery from an injury.
- Deep tissue massage – Uses slow, targeted strokes to apply pressure to sore muscles, tendons, and soft tissues. It is used to relieve chronic pain and tension and boost recovery from a muscle injury.
LEVERAGING MASSAGE THERAPY FOR IMPROVED CHIROPRACTIC CARE
Massage therapy in Cuyahoga Falls can, and is often, used in combination with chiropractic treatments. It can be an integral part of a successful treatment plan, implemented either before or after adjustments.
Massage works to loosen up any tight muscles to make the chiropractic manipulation more effective and help pain relief to last longer. Massage therapy warms up the muscles and tissues attached to the bones and around the joints which are being treated. For example, there are about 20 different muscles connected to the bones in the back which can limit spinal manipulation if they aren’t properly prepared.
Massage helps the muscles adapt to the new position of the spinal structures. When the chiropractor works to restore regular mobility to a joint, the muscles surrounding the joint must also respond and provide the right amount of tension. Tight muscles could otherwise restrict the joint causing pain to return. With massage sessions at Cuyahoga Falls Chiropractic Clinic, the muscles relax and soft tissues can heal faster once the joints are properly aligned.
ADVANTAGES OF COMBINING MASSAGE & CHIROPRACTIC
These two manipulative therapies have a lot of things in common. In many cases, the chiropractor works to correct structural problems, while the massage therapist works to relieve soft tissue issues. That's why together they can provide a wide range of benefits and better results.
- Better Results: When the muscles and tendons are relaxed with massaging, it enables sustained benefits from the chiropractic adjustment.
- Pain Relief: Regular, ongoing therapy which combines massage and chiropractic care is more effective at treating pain and inflammation. Many of our patients see greater success when receiving monthly massage and chiropractic adjustments.
- Pain Prevention: But this powerful combination is also more effective at preventing pain from coming back. Massage can help relax and elongate the muscles; this helps keep them from pulling joints back out of alignment. Plus, chiropractic care can be added to massage as part of a health care and wellness routine aimed at preventing chronic pain.
- Faster Recovery: Recovery from painful injuries and conditions is quicker and more complete because multiple factors creating discomfort are treated simultaneously. With chiropractic and massage therapy together, patients are able to reach a better state of wellbeing in less time.
- Increased Circulation: When used together, chiropractic and massage therapy increase circulation and blood flow throughout the body. This facilitates elasticity and range of motion in the muscles, joints, tendons, and tissues. Circulation of the lymphatic system and nervous system are also aided in the process.
- Reduced Stress: Not only does massage help relieve physical stress, but it has also been shown to relieve mental tension. It helps calm the body and the mind. The proven psychological benefits of massage include lowering stress and anxiety. Doctors have also found that massage increases serotonin levels in the brain which helps you feel and sleep better.
By utilizing both chiropractic care and targeted massage therapy together, patients usually notice instant relief from some symptoms, improved flexibility and range of motion. They are also said to benefit from a stronger immune system and an overall greater sense of health and wellbeing.
THE BEST TREATMENT FOR YOU
We are always working to put together the best and most effective treatment plans for our patients. Cuyahoga Falls Chiropractic Clinic in Cuyahoga Falls offers a full range of massage and chiropractic services to address many conditions and types of pain. Talk to us today to find out how we can help you; call our office to schedule a consultation or fill out the online request form today.